Prayer For Confession Of Sin
Prayer for confession of sin: The Purpose
Prayer for confession of sin is important because God has called us to come to Him, seeking His forgiveness. Sin separates us from God; He is perfect and cannot tolerate the presence of sin. You might ask, “But what is sin and why should I confess it? What happens if I don’t?” Sin is unbelief, being out of God’s will, or committing offenses. A few of these include:
- Arrogance (pride, haughtiness, controlling)
- Hatred, (racism, jealousy, evil acts)
- Idolatry, (Anything that is more important than God to you.)
- Adultery/lust (pornography is included)
“If we say we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts” (1 John 1:8-10).
Prayer for confession of sin: The How
God affords us every opportunity to confess our sins, to be instantly forgiven, and to reap eternal rewards. In fact, He says we should take up our cross daily (Luke 9:23). This verse means to deny selfish desires and to choose a righteous direction in life.
Confession is beginning a renewed relationship with God. He doesn’t require that it be a formal, memorized, robotic act.
- The Lord wants to see true, meaningful repentance from humbled hearts (Matthew 11:28-30).
- He wants us to be specific in our prayer for the confession of sin, not generic (Daniel 9:4-19). Tell God what you did.
- He wants us to acknowledge that we have sinned, and He wants us to know that He readily forgives (Psalm 32:5-7).
- As He forgives us, we should also be forgiving others (Matthew 6:12).
- Confessing our sins to one another, offers us accountability, allowing us to pray effectively for each other (James 5:16).
Like this information? Help us by sharing it with others. What is this?