Prayer for Peace
Prayer for Peace
A prayer for peace may be used to petition God for world peace or for personal inner peace when your own life is troubled. The world’s long history has been full of wars for land, power, and even in the name of peace. Most civilized people want an inner peace toward happiness and care-free lives. The Bible provides verses addressing both issues with the promises, instruction, and prophecies of God.
Prayer for Peace - Personal Peace
It is human nature to worry, become fearful, or desperate when one’s life is in excessive turmoil. But Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
Some other verses regarding personal peace are:
- Live in Peace (Mark 9:50)
- Jesus overcomes trials and sorrows (John 16:33)
- Peace is a fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Christ gives peace and rest to all who come to him in faith (Matthew 11:28-30)
- Jesus gives us peace of mind and heart (John 14:27)
- Jesus is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)
Prayer for Peace - World Peace
As long as mankind is running the world, there will be no real and lasting peace. Evil is real and runs rampant in the hearts of men who do not follow the Lord. All of us have been born with a sin nature and until we accept the gift of atonement Jesus has paid for each of us, we will have disorder, hostilities, and war mongers.
- There is no peace for the wicked (Isaiah 57:21)
- The beatitudes teach “blessed are those who work for peace” (Matthew 5:9)
- Jesus said war will break out near and far, but not to fear, they must happen (Mark 13:7)
- The world will have tribulation, Jesus overcomes the world (John 16:33)
- Peacemakers will plant seeds of peace, reap goodness (James 3:18)
- In the end of times, rider of the apocalyptic red horse is given the sword and authority to remove peace from the earth (Revelation 6:4) (But then Jesus returns and conquers evil.)
Prayer for Peace – Relying on Jesus
Jesus overcomes the world with all of its pain, wars, and evil because He is the Prince of Peace. It is through Him that we can pray and know that those who walk uprightly will enter into peace (Isaiah 57:2). “If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace” (Romans 8:6). Jesus has offered us a way to peace regardless of circumstances; we must decide daily which way to follow.
This Prayer for Peace began to circulate in 1981 in England. Its source is not clearly known, and it has no ties with any single denomination or faith.
“Lead me from death to life, from falsehood to truth. Lead me from despair to hope, from fear to trust. Lead me from hate to love, from war to peace. Let peace fill our heart, world, our universe.”
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow Jesus
Yes, I am already a follower of Jesus
I still have questions